March 12, 2020: 2020 Sandcrab Classic Postponed
Despite hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars already invested by organizers, volunteers and sponsors, it is with extreme disappointment that the Sand Crab Classic Perch Derby has to announce a postponement of the event for this year. Due to the Corona virus concern, State authority has essentially banned larger gatherings such as the Perch Derby.
We are postponing the contest and event gathering scheduled for Saturday March 14, 2020 until next year, Saturday March 13, 2020. All entries for this year will be transferred automatically to next year’s event. We’ll hold all prizes, trophies, t-shirts and swag from this year for the 2021 Classic, which will retain the name “The 16th Annual Sand Crab Classic Perch Derby.”
We’ve been fighting an uphill battle for weeks, determined to carry on with our annual tradition making adjustments to reduce risk yet preserve the popular event. Simply put, the new State requirements have exceeded our contingency plan. We must adhere to the new policy issued by California Governor’s office and California Department of Public Health today, Thursday March 12.
• Large gatherings that include 250 people or more should be postponed or canceled. This includes gatherings such as concerts, conferences, and professional, college, and school sporting events.
• Smaller gatherings held in venues that do not allow social distancing of six feet per person should be postponed or canceled. This includes gatherings in crowded auditoriums, rooms or other venues.
• Gatherings of individuals who are at higher risk for severe illness from COVID-19 should be limited to no more than 10 people.This includes gatherings such as those at retirement facilities, assisted living facilities, developmental homes, and support groups for people with health conditions.
• A “gathering” is any event or convening that brings together people in a single room or single space at the same time, such as an auditorium, stadium, arena, large conference room, meeting hall, cafeteria, or any other indoor or outdoor space.
In Washington State, where more than 375 residents have been diagnosed with the virus and 31 people have died, Gov. Jay Inslee today announced an outright ban on events and gatherings with more than 250 people. We expect California, currently standing at 177 active cases, to follow suit within the next few days. Deciding the postponement today seems our only option at this point. You can help by informing any of your friends and family who planned for the event this year about the postponement to avoid any expense of time and travel on their part.
This is as heartbreaking for us as it must be to all of you as entrants. We have no process set for any refunds but are happy to address individual concerns via firstname.lastname@example.org. Remember, all proceeds collected for this event are direct contributions to the Monterey Bay Salmon and Trout Project, a 501C-3 org, and are tax deferred as charitable contributions. For your records, the MBSTP CA Tax ID is 942401308
Sincerely and with great sadness
Allen Bushnell and Mike Baxter
Check the new, updated 2020 “Entry List” HERE.
16th Annual Sand Crab Classic Perch Tournament!
Here We GO! The second Saturday in March, every year.
MARCH 14, 2020 IS THE DATE! We will be opening ENTRIES sometime between January 1 and January 7, 2020.
Limited to the first 300 entries. We will sell out quickly, so sign up ASAP.
Email email@example.com with any questions. Read this page carefully before you email!
THE SAND CRAB CLASSIC IS AN ANNUAL BENEFIT FOR THE MONTEREY BAY SALMON AND TROUT PROJECT
The event is strictly limited to the first 300 entries. Here's what you get for your entry fee:
* A chance at great prizes and giveaway items from our sponsors!
* The ability to help the Monterey Bay Salmon & Trout Project!
* BBQ feast during weigh in at Portuguese Hall.
* One coveted Sand Crab Classic T-shirt! Be sure to mark your size on the entry form.
* Be sure to specify all entry names and t-shirt sizes.
* MUST BE PRESENT TO PICK UP T-SHIRT. Sorry no substitutions, and we cannot ship.
|When:||March 14, 2020. 1:00 pm weigh-in deadline|
|Where:||Portuguese Hall, 216 Evergreen St.
Santa Cruz 95060.
|Why:||Good times, good fishing, good food & supporting a great cause!|
$45.00 for Adult.
$35.00 for Junior (under 16 yrs old)
Meal only tickets available at the door $15.00
Extra T-Shirts $20.00 can be ordered with entry only.
T-Shirts for 2020 distributed on Derby Day only, no shipping.
2020 T-Shirts not available on Derby Day for purchase.
Vintage T-Shirts will be available for purchase on Derby Day.
About The Tournament
Sand Crab Classic is an enjoyable day of fishing with family and friends, where all proceeds raised go to support the Monterey Bay Salmon Trout Project.https://mbstp.org